Hey! I hope that everyone's summer has gone well! Today I wanted to share this decor idea that I had for my kid's bathroom. Before this, I just had their towel rack hanging up and thought it would be fun to add something else. Wood Co has recently come out with these super cute shadow boxes and overlays. They have a mermaid overlay and a seahorse one, so I thought it would be cute to do an ocean theme in the kids bathroom. I came up with the word Splash, but you can use any word you want – bath, flush, sparkle, clean, brush. Here's what you do!
Materials you need:
- Small letters to go in plank
- Scrapbook paper
- Paint- White, Quaker Grey, North Sea, Metallic Silver
- Glitter
- Wood Glue
- Sandpaper
- Stain
- Paint brushes
- Matte spray
Seahorse Plank: First I traced the seahorse on scrapbook paper. Then I painted the edges of the seahorse white. While that dried, I cut out the paper and then glued it onto the seahorse. Then I sanded the edges. Next I painted the plank box quaker grey. After a couple coats of that, I applied stain onto it and quickly wiped it off afterward so it wouldn't get too dark. I sprayed the seahorse with a matte coat spray. Then I glued the seahorse to the plank. Seahorse, Done! If you need more detailed instructions with how to glue paper onto wood, check out the tutorial here. And here's a stain tutorial.
Next up, the mermaid plank. First I sanded then painted the mermaid metallic silver. That needs 2-3 coats. While that dried, I sanded then painted the plank box white. This also needs a few coats. After the metallic mermaid dried, I taped off the top half of her body, so that she'd just have a glitter tail. I painted the tail again and then applied the silver glitter, Make sure to check out this tutorial for glitter– it is so helpful! After the glitter, I sprayed the mermaid with the matte spray to keep the glitter in tact. Then I glued the mermaid to the plank. Mermaid done!
Lastly, the Splash letters. I sanded then painted the letters white. Again, 2 coats. Once these dried I sanded the edges. Then I painted the plank North Sea blue (2 coats). Once everything was dried, I glued the letters on.
Then I had my husband hang everything up! There you have it!










No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.